ANZAC DAY BISCUITS
During World War 1, the wives, mothers and girlfriends of the Australian soldiers were concerned for the nutritional value of the food being supplied to their men. Here was a problem. Any food they sent to the fighting men had to be carried in the ships of the Merchant Navy. Most of these were lucky to maintain a speed of ten knots (18.5 kilometers per hour). Most had no refrigerated facilities, so any food sent had to be able to remain edible after periods in excess of two months. A body of women came up with the answer - a biscuit with all the nutritional value possible. The basis was a Scottish recipe using rolled oats. These oats were used extensively in Scotland, especially for a heavy porridge that helped counteract the extremely cold climate.
- 1 cup (150g) plain flour
- 1 cup (90g) rolled oats
- 1 cup (85g) Ward McKenzie desiccated coconut
- 3/4 cup (155g) brown sugar
- 125g butter
- 2 tbs golden syrup
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 2 tbs water
Preheat the oven to 160°C. Line two baking trays with non-stick baking paper. Sift the flour into a large bowl. Stir in the oats, coconut and brown sugar.
Put the butter, golden syrup and 2 tbs water in a small saucepan. Stir over a medium heat until melted. Stir in the bicarbonate of soda.
Pour the butter mixture into the flour mixture and stir until combined.
Roll level tablespoons of mixture into balls. Place on the trays, about 5cm apart.
Press with a fork to flatten slightly. Bake for 10 minutes or until golden brown.
Set aside on the trays for 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack so it cools completely.
- taipanmay reblogged this from kobied
- taipanmay likes this
- goldstarsfortulip likes this
- black-vortex reblogged this from ileolai
- shewillbeamazing reblogged this from ileolai and added:
- shewillbeamazing likes this
- the-abcs-of-life reblogged this from ileolai
- alex-moriarty likes this
- wenchlatte likes this
- ileolai reblogged this from kobied and added:
- theoncomingmildweather reblogged this from captainlrg
- sense-there-is-none reblogged this from kobied
- theoncomingmildweather likes this
- captainlrg reblogged this from kobied and added:
- waterbaby89 reblogged this from kobied and added:
- kobied posted this